Thursday, August 13, 2015

Is the suspense killing you?

 I thought I would begin this blog by adding some pics of the kids in DisneyWorld.  They sure are growing! James is 13 now, Patrick is almost 12, and Charlotte is 9 1/2 years old.  Both boys are taller than me, and Charlotte has a new pair of beautiful glasses as of yesterday.  My, how time flies!

Okay....I guess I have kept you in suspense for long enough.  Actually, we have been finalizing some details about our living and moving arrangements that we wanted to have tied up before  I made any concrete announcements, and since things are mostly signed, sealed and delivered, I figured I can let you in on our soon-to-be whereabouts.  I sure hope I don't jinx things by making this announcement too soon, but since we are leaving in just a few days for our destination, I had better let the cat out of the bag.

Have you any thoughts as to where we might be going?  Well....we are headed to.......

...a really nice place that is not in Ontario.  We have told a few of you with whom we visited over the past few weeks, and some of you received our news quite happily, in that you are happy for us, and others, were not happy at all because we are not staying in Ontario.  It saddened us that some of you reacted the way you did, because WE are thrilled about our new situation.  The thing is, as teachers, it is extremely difficult for us to find work in Ontario.  If we want to work, we have to leave Ontario.  It was incredibly difficult to leave last year.  As we approached the Manitoba border last year, Greg and I were both crying.  We will always consider Ontario to be home, and maybe one day we will be able to return, but as teachers, time in the union is important, so the longer we stay the less likely it is we will be able to return.  Anyway, like I said, we are really happy about our destination.

What do you think now?  We are headed to......

...a town of 19,000 people.  This town has paved roads, intersections, grass, trees, restaurants, banks, pharmacies, a post office, gas stations, and all kinds of retail stores.  James is thrilled because there is a Boston Pizza in town.  Charlotte is happy there is a McDonalds.  Patrick is happy there is an indoor pool complex.  Greg is happy there are several grocery stores with fresh (as opposed to frozen) food.  I am happy there is a Walmart.  In addition, there is a movie theatre, airport, small mall, and a great book store called The Book Cellar.  Cool name, huh?

Any guesses?  We are headed to.....

...a town where I will be teaching Core French to Grades 4-7.  Greg will be supply teaching for now until something else comes along.  We are hoping he will find an LTO (long-term occasional position)  or better yet, get a job with the Ministry of Education or another part of the government.  This school is a Catholic school, and the kids are thrilled to be headed back to a faith-filled school environment, surrounded by those of like minds.  I am happy that I am going to be teaching what I was trained to do, and am finally getting my career going.  Incidentally, from what I can tell, having not seen my schedule yet, I will be teaching both Charlotte and Patrick.  They are actually quite happy because I understand that they haven't been using their French for over a year since they didn't take it in Tuk, so I will supposedly go easy on them.  Hmmmmmm..........

Don't you hate that I'm dragging this out?  We are headed to....

...a place that is accessible by airplane.  Simply fly from Toronto to Calgary or Edmonton and then connect.  Easy peasy.  Gramma and Grampa Wilson have plans to visit soon, and my mom is also talking about visiting.  Any and all of you are welcome!

Here's a final clue.  We are headed to.....

...a town whose name begins with a colour and ends with a something you will find in front of you when you sit down to dinner.

Okay, that ought to make it quite obvious by now!!

As of Sunday, August 23, 2015, the Wilson Family will be residents of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.

Thank you to everyone for your love and support as we move across the country again.  I will continue to blog about our life in the North, and although we are not living in a 'remote' community, we still have loads of new adventures ahead of us, and we look forward to seeing what God has in store for us in our new town (although some of you would argue that Yellowknife is remote, too. This is a matter of opinion, I guess.  Heh heh.).

I will blog more about the actual town of Yellowknife as we make our journey there.  Here's to a new school year and new beginnings!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! That's exciting! Shouldn't be a culture shock to you at all! You know the far north... you've now moved south! The population likely will feel bigger because of all the northern communities that will likely shop there! Amazing there is a walmart in nt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's exciting! Shouldn't be a culture shock to you at all! You know the far north... you've now moved south! The population likely will feel bigger because of all the northern communities that will likely shop there! Amazing there is a walmart in nt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you'll get to keep your license plate!! What another great opportunity, I'm very happy for you guys! Maybe next time you're back in Ontario for a while we can see each other. We miss you here at the Bowman house! Please let me know what your address is, I may not be able to visit but I can send mail to ya! I hope you keep writing the blog too, I'm looking forward to hearing about life in Yellowknife! All the best, Bon Voyage Wilson family! (BTW Jack is going into French immersion, I may need your phone number too if I have French questions - The old brain can't remember everything from OAC French) : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immersion est une très bonne idée pour Jack parce qu'il est né au début de l'année, donc il est plus âgé que les autres enfants dans sa classe. Tu seras fantastique avec Jack, surtout dans les années primaires. Je souhaite souvent que mes enfants étaient dans un program d'immersion mais il n'y avait que une choix quand ils ont commencé leurs études, et ça c'est Core French. C'est dommage. James et Patrick n'aiment pas la classe de français, mais pour Charlotte, français c'est son sujet préféré. Eh bien!

      Delete
  4. Such an exciting adventure for all of you!
    We will miss you guys , of course, but I'm so excited for the new adventures your family is taking!
    Plus, with technology we can keep up with you easily, which is amazing.
    Have a safe trip, Wilson Family! Let the new adventure begin!

    ReplyDelete